Starting on a port of Toybox for dev packages so I can experiment with new features including C extensions and luacheck support.

I had completely forgotten that even tough the screen is 1bit, source artwork can use 3 values: black, white and transparent… 🌈

Update! I wrote the player class and she hooked it up to the button testing code.

Show thread

Poke Crossing… the game my daughter wants me to make using her own artwork has officially moved from to .

Looking somewhat legit! Tons of optimizations left to do but that’s the fun part where you start learning about the hardware.

Show thread

…and we are sining like a vilain. Next step, make the slice size adjustable.

Show thread

Got string rendering working. This is not using a font in the API but rather an image table so that I can slice it anyway I need later.

Show thread

Testing my little Makefile tweak to easily add multiple extensions to a project. Playbox2D from Dustin Mierau and my modplayer. Two lines in your project and boom!

Pre-production PSP and a test UMD from Daxter, the last game I worked on… until now! 😁

First release of modplayer is out in the wild… long ways to go to make it useful but you gotta start somewhere. github.com/DidierMalenfant/mod

It is SUPER rough around the edges and I have no idea what real world performance would look like right now but it lives!

Another awesome little tool, online this time, to dither your artwork when developing for potch.me/demos/playdither/

The one bonus I often add is a test in the build script for any local changes to the code base. If so, I add a postfix to the build number like -dev or -dirty to indicate that that build does not comform exactly to the commit. That system has the advantage to work across repo branches too, you don’t have to worry about build number collisions when merging.

Show thread
Show older
Mastodon

A newer server operated by the Mastodon gGmbH non-profit